RE: TR6 Timing

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: RE: TR6 Timing
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 10:50:51 -0400
John writes:

>This i don't understand ( not only this....):
>I've had trouble timing my engine to specs since I replaced cam several
years
>ago (along with a valve job). Today I tried again, starting by timing
>statically to -12 degrees by the test lamp method described in Bentley.
When
>I then put timing light on the marks, it still reads -12. Whats up with
that?
>Idle remains rough, but at higher revs things seem pretty good.
>Furthermore, I'm still chasing an apparent vacuum leak. I just replaced
the
>manifold
>gasget and retorqued all carb bolts. I still don't get enough vacuum to
>operate the vacuum retard device, although now I can feel some under the
rear
>carb where the vacuum hose connects. The hose appears clear...at least i
can
>blow through it. Any ideas on this?
>Thanks,         John

John,

You might have a ruptured diaghram in the retard module.  Try sucking on it
(you might want to use some fresh (clean) hose) and see if you get
resistance.
It should get difficult to suck straight away and if you suck hard enough
you
should actually see a little movement from the module.  If it feels like
you are
sucking through a straw then you need a new module.

Please note:  When I say "suck"  I mean to create a slight vacuum using the

mouth.  I do not mean to perform poorly as in "Dave, your advice sucks!"
As
I write this it sounds very politically incorrect but I can not think of an
alternative
word that is as concise or accurate (in the proper context) as "suck).
Sorry.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6