[TR6] camshaft replacement: any "tricks"?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR6] camshaft replacement: any "tricks"?
From: "Theodore R. Stevens" <stevens@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 11:07:43 -0400
I'm in the process of replacing a worn camshaft in my TR6 with a BL "S2"
regrind from Ted Schumacher.  Before I get further along, I thought I'd
solicit the list for any little-known (or well-known, for that matter)
hints and tricks, and suggestions for other things I Really Ought To Do
while things are apart (while avoiding a case of shipwrights disease).

What I've done so far:
Removed timing chain cover.  This required removing the radiator, tubular
chassis cross member, loosening steering rack, removing fan and crank pulley.
Set #1 and #6 to TDC; timing marks on sprockets are lined up, #6 is set to
fire.

What's left to do:  It sure looks like the head has to come off to get the
old cam followers out and the new ones in, since there's no side cover on
these engines.  With the valve cover off, it looks like there's not enough
room to slip the followers down through the head. If cylinder head removal
can be avoided, please contact me ASAP!

Also, does the front engine plate have to come off? It's not apparent from
the BL manual that this is necessary, unless I missed a step. (Or is this
how I can get the followers in, with *really* long forceps? <1/2 grin>)

I'm planning on sticking with the stock timing marks, which I'm assured
will work fine with this cam. I'll use a quality cam lube, and "wear in"
the cam per Ted Schumacher's recommendation.

---
Ted Stevens     stevens@erols.com
74 TR6          Gaithersburg, MD