RE: ???????????rear springs TR3a

To: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: ???????????rear springs TR3a
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 16:23:14 -0800
Ed :

This is normal, when the car is supported by the frame (not by the rear
wheels).  On a TR2/3/4, the frame serves as the lower stop for the rear
axle.  When the car's weight is on the springs, they should compress enough
so that the axle rises above the frame.  If the axle rests on the frame
with the weight on the wheels, there is something VERY wrong ! <g>

The factory spacer is a small piece of leaf spring, that goes between the
main leaf and the axle on the passenger's side.  You can add more spacers
to lower the car, but you will need longer U-bolts if you add more than
1/4" or so.  Off-road and performance shops should have the spacers in
varying heights.  Take one of the old U-bolts with you, so you can get the
right new ones.

Note that the spacers RAISE most vehicles (where the spring goes over the
axle, instead of under it like a TR), so the store may know them as "leaf
spring lift blocks" or similar.

Randall

On Friday, February 26, 1999 3:36 PM, fogbro1@impop.bellatlantic.net
[SMTP:fogbro1@impop.bellatlantic.net] wrote:

> Mike and List,
>
> While we're on the subject of TR3 rear springs, what's the proper
distance, if
> any between the axle housings and frame? Mine is resting on the rubbers
that
> go around these axle tubes. On a bump, the axle cannot move downward.
Doesn't