Re: stuck wire wheel

To: ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com
Subject: Re: stuck wire wheel
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 19:41:39 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 2/9/99 2:49:53 PM EST, ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com writes:

<< Anybody have a secret trick for removing a stuck wire wheel from an LBC?
 The knock off comes off okay, but the right rear wheel will not budge from
 the spline (rusted probably because the car sat immobile in an airplane
 hangar for 15 years.  I've tried jacking that side of the car up as high as
 I can and soaked it with rust penetrating spray hoping that the jacked up
 angle would cause the spray to soak down into the spline.  I grasp the wheel
 with both hands, one at 3 o'clock and the other at 9 o'clock, and try to
 rock it until I fear the car will come off the jacks.  I turn the wheel
 periodically so that I'm not always pulling on the same spot. Still nothing.
 Won't budge.  Any ideas? Further, if I do get it off, how do you prevent
 this from happening again?  Thanks, Greg Hutmacher

Put the KO back on loosely and go for a slow short ride. This will sometimes
loosen the rust-weld. Grease the splines before you put it back on. Never
tried this myself but it came up on the list a ways back.
Good luck.
Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B