Re: calipers

To: hklean@erols.com, arthurhsmith@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: calipers
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 02:16:06 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 2/9/99 12:08:17 AM Eastern Standard Time, hklean@erols.com
writes:

> Once they rotate a little
>  they can be removed with compressed air.Soaking the whole thing in CRC
>  helps.Be carfull!!  When they let loose they can fly across the shop at
>  dangerous speed.

Rick,

I'd like to offer a safer alternative to using compressed air, but one that
works just as well. I took an extra brake line fitting and drilled and tapped
it for a grease nipple. Now, instead of air, I screw the fitting in and use my
grease gun. It will put out as much or more pressure as the compressor, but
there is absolutely no danger at all. When the piston pops, the pressure is
immediately released, grease being non-compressable, and the piston will not
move any more till you squeeze the handle some more. Just squeeze the grease
gun handle a few times, and watch the piston slide on out!  If the grease gun
won't move it, the compressor won't either, and the compressor, as you said,
can be dangerous.

The only downside to this is you use a lot of grease!  It'll take about one
tube per caliper. The upside is there is NO damage to the calipers or pistons,
and NO danger to you. Even if the caliper were to split in half from the
pressure, there is no danger. Save the old grease to use on the next brake
job.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/