Re: calipers

To: "Arthur H. Smith" <arthurhsmith@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: calipers
From: Ellen Kratz <hklean@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 11:46:52 -0500
Cc: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Arthur H. Smith wrote:

> >I am not sure what you are refering to as a Blaster, but if it's
> >compressed air, IMHO it's not a very good idea to use on TR calipers,
> >because they are "split" and have an o-ring/seal between the two halves
> >that could be damaged from the air pressure. In fact, there are warnings
> >in the manual about not cleaning the caliper assembly with any strong
> >cleaners that might get into the gap and damage the seal.
>
> I can understand a warning against using cleaners because they can seep in
> through microscopic openings and damage the rubber.  But air pressure is
> lower in the home/garage shop than what you generate with a push on the
> brake pedal.
Authur,
To remove stubborn pistons it is easiest to first seperate the caliper
halves.I have read warnings against this but could never understand the
logic behind them.I have restored many calipers by seperating the
halves,then removing the pistons and glass beading the castings then
rebuilding them.
The cross feed seals can either be saved or replaced.Pegasus Racing
supplies sells Girling cross feed seals for $1.99 each.I have done many
calipers and never had a problem. I have found that clamping the caliper
half with the stuck piston in a padded vise, then trying to rotate the
piston by the chisle and BFH method works well.Once they rotate a little
they can be removed with compressed air.Soaking the whole thing in CRC
helps.Be carfull!!  When they let loose they can fly across the shop at
dangerous speed.
Once I had a piston half out that wouldn`t budge.I drilled a hole in the
bottom center of the piston.Then tapped the hole and theaded a bolt into
the hole and pressed the piston out against the caliper.
Where there`s a will ......
Good luck,Rick Hand