mail fraud?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: mail fraud?
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 19:44:05 -0600
Listers,

I would like to find out what constitutes mail fraud.  I answered an add on
the VTR site for a rear fender.  After several emails and then phone
conversations with the gentleman we agreed on a price and shipping
charges.  The owner wanted a money order and I complied.  The price was
$90 so we aren't talking a lot of money here.  I just don't like the idea of
being screwed.  I sent the money back in August and quite a while went by
and no fender.  I finally called again around christmas time and talked to
him I think for the second time and I got the song and dance about him
having followed on hard times ect ect.  Same old song and dance.
Supposedly he is still going to ship the fender (yea right).

So does this constitute mail fraud or is it just stupidity on my part?  What
course of action should I take in this.  I have his address and phone
number.

Something I had thought of was trying to find a fellow lister to stop by this
persons place and see if they could if nothing else pick up the fender from
him.  If this seems like a good idea are there any listers in the LA and the
area code prefix is 714 that would want to tackle this problem?

I'm open to any suggestions?

TIA
Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
My Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs (updated 12/3/98)

1964 Spitfire4 BFC25720L -- 1973 Spitfire 1500 FM3353U
1962 TR4 CT288L          -- 1965 TR4 CT38888LO parts car?
1959 TR3A TS41311L       -- 1959 TR3A TS53523L parts car
1951 Dodge Truck B-3-B-108