Re: Voltage Stabilizer, was re: electric oil

To: Brian Borgstede <borgstede@umsl.edu>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Voltage Stabilizer, was re: electric oil
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 10:52:42 -0500
Message text written by Brian Borgstede
>We couldn't find a 10V regulator, so he built a variable one.
>I think it's rated at 5 amps (0r 3?).
>
>I put it in place and started the car. I then adjusted the output
>to 10V with the load of the guages on the circuit.
<

What current draw did you find from the gauges?  I figure
that you could use an IC variable voltage regulator with a
couple of selected resistors to get the 10 volts to within a few percent
quite easily.  Availability of high amperage ICs is the problem.  That
is why I asked about the current draw of the gauges.  1.5 amp
regulators should be no problem.  I am sure there are 5's around too.
Above that, you probably have to go to a switching regulator, which
is what the stock 1960's unit does mechanically.

-Tony