Re: Voltage Stabilizer, was re: electric oil

To: jaltman@altlaw.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, ARhodes@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: Voltage Stabilizer, was re: electric oil
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 10:42:43 EST

> Please feel free to jump all over me if I am wrong, but wasn't there a
>  discussion of this some time ago where some one pointed out that the
voltage
>  stabilizer is not a regulator in the conventional sense.  Since the meters
>  connected to it are using bimetal strips inside, it adjusts the voltage and
>  compensates for temperature differences.  i.e. in colder weather the
voltage
>  will be higher so a half a tank still reads a half a tank.

Jim,

You are correct. In cold weather, the bi-metal strips in the meters won't bend
as much with the same sender resistance as they will when warm, so a higher
voltage is required to compensate. The bi-metal strip in the stabilizer also
doesn't bend as much when cold, so for the same current, it opens later than
when warm, and cools off to close quicker. As a result, the On time is longer
compared to the OFF time, so the average voltage is higher-just what the
instruments need to compensate for the cold.

The temperature compensation in a typical solid state circuit provides the
wrong type of compensation - the output voltage stays constant with a change
in temperature. How significant the difference is, I don't know.

Anyway, if you want to build a solid state stabilizer, the current draw for
the gauges is quite small, less than 1/2 amp each. I have the exact figures
somewhere, but I can't find them right now.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/index.html
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74