RE: BRG paint

To: DOnP <donp@ncweb.com>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: BRG paint
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 09:29:30 -0500
Hi Don, Just a couple of comments FWIW.

>ICI has a single layer urethane called "2K" available in accurate colors.
>The proper BRG for your car is ICI # 2855 and can be mixed by any ICI
paint
>supplier from this number. A local source of ICI paint can be found by
>calling ICI customer service at 1-800-647-6050.

>Triumph Racing Green to which you refer is also called "Conifer". It is
>Triumph code 25, ICI # 3736 and was used on TR4,$A,5,250 and 6's. (Not
>correct for a TR3), but a very pretty color.

I am not even sure it is correct for a TR4A.  That "Conifer" seems much too
light/minty.  It is clearly different than my original XXX Racing Green
lacquer.

>Any modern finish whether single layer or base coat/clear coat is going to
>have a higher gloss level than the original finish. I don't know if a
>flatting material (usually a silica powder) could be added  to the system
>without adverse consequences.  I will ask my contact at ICI if this is
possible.

>There are arguments on both sides of the single layer vs. base coat/clear
>coat debate. A good painter will acheive good results with either system.
>plan to use ICI "2K" single layer on my TR3A when ready for paint.

I am not sure that it is necessary to worry about the gloss/depth that
modern
base/clear urethanes give.  I have always felt that a REALLY GOOD lacquer
paint could be polished to a surface that is hard to match with ANY other
paint.
Urethanes make that job easier.  REALLY GOOD (thick) lacquer is as brittle
as glass.  Urethanes are not so brittle.  My humble (not very experienced)
opinion
is that base/clear coat urethanes can give a paint job that was similar to
a very special and more expensive lacquer paint job.

My other very personal observation and opinion is that Concours
winners are not cars that look like they did when they were new.
Not at all.  They are much better than new.  They are probably
as good or better than what the designers ever dreamed.  My even
more personal opinion is that these cars are over-restored and
driven much, much, much to little.  Possible exceptions are one-
of-a-kind cars which no longer have any parts available.  It would be a
shame
to use them up by driving them.  However, they should be in
museums and not in shows!  I think shows should be for real cars
not museum pieces, no matter how wonderful a "Royale" is.

-Tony