Re: Gas in oil

To: Rengrave@aol.com
Subject: Re: Gas in oil
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 22:05:41 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 6 Nov 1998 Rengrave@aol.com wrote:

> My oil was thin and black and had a slight gas smell.

A good sign :-)

> The gray muck I was talking about was a 1/4" thick layer on the bottom of the
> low end of the pan, it was silverish gray, not brown.

If it's magnetic then it's steel.  However it's probably aluminum or
babbett (bearing) from other points in the engine.  Save some and see if
you have any chemist friends who can identify it :-)

> The oil pump scratches are deep enough to catch your fingernail on, but I am
> within the .010" tolerance (.006"-.008").

I've never seen the inside of a TR6 oil pump; perhaps they are supposed to
be there?  (can't imagine why)

At least the pan is easy to drop if the pump *has* failed.  I think it was
just thin gas, but who's to say for sure?

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm