RE: Re-emergence of Triumph and Austin Healey names

To: "'Peter Zaborski'" <peterz@merak.com>, "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Re-emergence of Triumph and Austin Healey names
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 15:03:33 -0500
Peter,

I think you took my "unique" comment a bit too far.  I was referring more to
the actual package design (body style, handling characteristics, etc) rather
than taking down to the nuts and bolts level (make it all Whitworth?).

Something more like what Honda and Rover did in the mid-80s when the
Sterling (Rover) and Acura Legends (Honda) were introduced.  Both cars
shared the same basic mechanicals (keep the costs down!) but the body and
interior stylings were unique.

My personal feeling is that resurrecting the nameplates would just fail the
way that Mazda's "Millenium" division failed on the launch pad.  And the
Triumph name would be dragged through the "failed manufacturers" list once
again.

Jim