Re: Stuck lug nuts.

To: Roger Helman <rogerh@digimation.com>
Subject: Re: Stuck lug nuts.
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 21:35:25 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Roger:

If you can avoid drilling (i.e. someone from list
has a better solution, then by all means try it). If
you have to drill, here is what I did when my stud let
lose from the hub while the lug was still on (couldn't
get lug off since stud just kept spinning).

Use a nail tap (for tapping in finishing nails) and tap
an indentation in the center of the lug. Be careful to
get dead center and go gently at first since the tap will
want to slip off the rounded end of the lug.

Starting with a small metal drill (I think I began with an
1/8th inch bit) drill into the center deep enough so that the
hole goes to where the stub is just coming out of the hub. I
used a good stud on the wheel to measure the depth and then used
a drill stop set at the same measurement.

Repeat this process increasing the diameter of the bit with each drill
until you are the same or just under the siize of the stud. You'll
start with a 1/4" drill but you'll need to finish with a 1/2" drill
(I rented one at the local rental shop and the guy even let me
use his bits).

After I drilled out the last time with the bit slightly under the
stud dianmeter, I used vice locks plyers and pulled up and down on the
lug and it broke right off almost exactly where the stud comes out
of the hub.

Replaced the stud and put on a new lug and all is well.  The process was
a bit hairy making sure all was centered but all in all the job was
really easy.

Hope this helps.  If you have any other questions, let me know.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6