Re: Hardy MGB Driver

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Hardy MGB Driver
From: "Andrew Dixon" <adixon@loudoun.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 22:51:18 -0400
Cc: chammock@iquest.net
For want of sounding like a Monty Python skit. I grew up in NE PA and
looking back the winters I remember were a little harder 30 years ago. The
drinking age was 21 in PA but 18 in NY state and we would congregate at
the Black Horse in Narrowsburg on the banks of the Delaware river. One
winter eve it started snowing while I was in Narrowsburg and there was
plenty of snow on the ground when it came time to go home - the only way
out was up. I jumped in the trusty Herald convertible and started home. Got
about half way up the valley and the wheels started spinning. Back down
the valley, snow coming down and now end in site. Two more tries and I
decided to try the long way out of town. The only problem was, that was a
long uphill too. Two tries and I decided to give the first route one more try.
The Black Horse was closed as I drove by, crossed the river and started out
of the valley. This time she continued up the valley passing about ten cars
on the way out. She made it and got me home.
Another night I was on the highway pulling bootlegger turns on the ice left
after the snow plows had gone through. The drive wheel dropped into the
smallest dimple in the ice and couldn't get out. I rocked it and rocked it but
to no avail. Suddenly I had a (bright) idea. I pulled out the choke and yes
indeed she continued to run while in gear and no foot on the accelerator. I
then opened the door and got out, walked to the back driver side corner and
lifted and pushed on the bumper (not much on a Herald). This got the car out
of the dimple and she continued down the road. The driver (dummy me)
hanging on for dear life and pulling myself along the body until I reached
the door handle, opened the door and dragged myself in.
Boy I miss that car.
Andy

On 04/22/98 07:44 PM chammock@iquest.net said...