Re: TR6 - Brake Warning light

To: tomomalley@hey.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 - Brake Warning light
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 23:40:34 EDT
In a message dated 4/13/98 9:43:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tomomalley@hey.net writes:

> Still, I believe
>  that Triumph took the cheapest and most primitive path available to
>  implement these requirements where for a few pennies more they might
>  have saved some customers the price of a new engine.

Tom,

I don't think there is any question about that.  In the financial condition
they were in, they needed to save every penny.  But, General Motors, Ford, and
Chrysler all did and still do the same thing.

>  > After given enough time to think about it, we might even come up with
>  > a better way yet.
>
>  He he...we can change it but then we're *both* DPOs! :-)

After I wrote my previous response, I took a look at the wiring diagram I made
for my TR6/302 project.  It had been a while since I looked at it, so I had
forgotten how I did it on that car.  What I did there was to add a handbrake
warning switch, and wired it in parallel with the brake failure switch.  This
way, I get a positive indication that the light is working any time I pull up
the hand brake with the key on, but while driving, the light will never come
on unless I have an actual brake failure switch operation.  Most of the time,
I have the handbrake on whenever I park the car, and I don't release it until
after the car is started, so I can be sure I will always have a chance to
check the light.

The oil pressure switch gets a light of its own.  Of course, this is a Ford
pressure switch, rather than a Lucas or Triumph make.  I also have a solid
state (low current drain) warning buzzer tied between the oil pressure switch
and the headlight switch, so I get a warning if I shut off the engine with the
lights on.  I have an electronic switch wired to the fuel sender, using a 555
timer module, to light up a warning lamp if the fuel level drops below a
preset (adjustable) level.  I have another  warning chime tied to the hidden
anti-theft fuel pump cutoff switch, so if I forget to turn the pump back on
and try to drive off, I get a warning.  I have another chime tied to the turn
signals so I don't forget to turn them off on the interstates where the wind
noise is so much that I can't hear the flasher working.

If you haven't guessed by now, I am at that age where forgetfullness is
getting to be an annoyance!

What were we talking about?

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN