Re: TR6 - Brake Warning light

To: tomomalley@hey.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 - Brake Warning light
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 19:28:47 EDT
In a message dated 4/13/98 6:43:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tomomalley@hey.net writes:

> The brake failure lamp, IMHO, is of little value.  For it to actuate
>  you need to step on the pedal and by then you already know! :-)

Tom,

I can't agree 100% with that -- there are a few variables that have to be
considered.

A lot of it has to do with your driving style, and how sensitive you are to
changes in your car.  Keep in mind that these circuits were designed for Mr.
and Mrs. Everyman, not just for super enthusiasts like you and me :)  For
example, The Everymans could putz around their subdivision at low speeds, only
gently using the brakes, and not even know that they have lost the front
brakes.  At low speeds, and stopping gently, the rears by themselves are
adequate.  A few days later, though, they might be on the highway and have to
make a panic stop.  I perfectly agree with you here -- if they didn't have
front brakes they would very quickly know that something is amiss!  A little
late, though.

>From a probability standpoint, I doubt that these switches operate (for the
purpose intended, at least) very often.  Most of the time, they get activated
when the brakes are bled.

If I were to make the changes you did, I believe I would have added a second
oil pressure warning light, tied directly between the white wire and the oil
pressure switch, and placed it in the same hole as the original.  The original
light then, I would have tied up under the dash somewhere out of sight but
readily accessible.  This would give you the best of both worlds.  Hmmm! Now
that I think about it, I believe I will do it on my TR6.  After given enough
time to think about it, we might even come up with a better way yet.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74