Re: HELP - TR3 Steering "Idler Lever"

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: HELP - TR3 Steering "Idler Lever"
From: John Gillis <jgillis@tcd.ie>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 08:54:41 +0000
>Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 08:48:43 +0000
>To: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
>From: John Gillis <jgillis@mail.tcd.ie>
>Subject: Re: HELP - TR3 Steering "Idler Lever"
>Bcc:
>>I've been trying to disconnect to the Idler Lever from the steering linkage
>>without destroying the Silentbloc bush.  These assemblies are still on the
>>car.  I've soaked, pried and gently pounded with a vice grip or two
>>applying a constant load between the nut/stud end of the silentbloc and the
>>idler lever arm, but it has not budged.
>>
>>Does anybody have any ideas about how to seperate these pieces, or any
>>advice on how to replace the silentbloc bush, if I end up destroying it in
>>the process.  I am trying to do all of this with the parts still on the
>>car, which may be my greatest error.  I'd just trash the silentbloc bush
>>and install a new one, but I've heard installing the silentbloc bush is
>>extremely difficult, although it doesn't look too difficult to me.  Of
>>course, aligning the engine rear main oil seal, with the engine and crank
>>in the car, didn't look hard to me either.  :-(
>>
>>Is there a difficulty or special technique to installing a new silentbloc
>>bush?
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>
>>Jack Brooks
>>TS69032L

Jack
        I have been through this one, I think you are very brave to attempt
arm removal in-situ. It took me two days with the complete unit on the
bench, in the vice, on the floor ....... Anyway as regards the silentbloc,
I replaced mine with phospher bronze units supplied by Revington TR. I aslo
tapped the link and bush when in place and fitted grease nipples. I have
been promised longer life, more positive steering and all the riches I
desire, well maybe not the last one, but worth considering. I have not
tried the unit yet as the rest of the car still needs re-building.

John Gillis
1954 TR2 TS3618. October 1954 (ground up)
1964 Triumph 3TA 350cc (a little gem)
Trinity College
Dublin,
IRELAND.