Re: MIG WELDER

To: tboicey@brit.ca, tomomalley@hey.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MIG WELDER
From: Rikrock <Rikrock@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 21:56:54 EDT
In a message dated 98-04-05 19:41:44 EDT, tboicey@brit.ca writes:

<<
   Compared to some other forms of welding, MIG welding really
 isn't that bright, especially with gas. I am using the face shield
 that came with my lincoln and frankly it's very dark, even with
 the arc on it's still barely viewable. I am thinking of switching
 to a lighter lens.

Hello,

The old style welding lenses, the dark ones that don't change shades when you
start welding, are available in different shades.  If you remove the lens from
the helmet, you should be able to see a number somewhere along an edge of the
lens.  The most common ones are #10.  If you find that your lens is a number
12, which is darker, you probably should switch to a #10 for MIG welding.  A
number 4 or 5 is good for brazing and oxy-acetylene welding.  In all cases,
make sure the dark lens is clean, and free of pitting.  The dark lens
shouldn't be pitted unless it has been used without a clear lens to protect it
from weld spatter, but a haze can build up on the dark lens.  The clear lens
becomes pitted and or discolored with use.  If that is the case, put a new one
in.  Using clean lenses makes quite a bit of difference when it comes to being
able to see what is going on.

If you are using the old style lens and are not comfortable with visibility of
your work, get some additional light and focus it on the work area.  Even with
a number ten lens, you should be able to see your work if you give your eyes a
few seconds to adjust after you lower the welding hood.

Be careful!!  Flash burns of the eyes are something you don't ever want to
experience.  Don't ever try electric welding with a number 4 or 5 lens, and
don't ever try starting your arc before you have lowered your shield.  Keep
your work area clean, and make sure you have a fire extinguisher ready to use.

Have fun!

Rich Rock...Been welding way too long
64 TR4
65 TR4A-IRS