Re: MIG WELDER

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MIG WELDER
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 20:59:20 GMT
Trevor writes...

>  Is this the electronic one or the photochemical one?

Sure!  Ask me something I don't know. :-)  <sound of O'Malley tossing
papers around looking for the manual>

>  I think the photochemical ones darken in 1/2000s and the
>electronic ones do it in 1/25000s. I am not sure if the difference
>is significant from an eye safety point of view.

Okay....found a 4" slip of paper which purports to be the user manual.
Printed in type suitable for a mosquito with a very good eyesight.

The unit is apparently electronic <batteries included> and yes, it
claims to switch in 1/25000 of a second.  It declares suitability for
all types of welding except "Oxy Acetylene, Laser and sub 5amp Tig"

The particular unit I bought has a fixed #10 filter.  More expensive
variants offer an adjustable filter.  I believe a #10 is what was
originally fitted to the "one-hander" supplied with my Lincoln.

>  Compared to some other forms of welding, MIG welding really
>isn't that bright, especially with gas. I am using the face shield
>that came with my lincoln and frankly it's very dark, even with
>the arc on it's still barely viewable. I am thinking of switching
>to a lighter lens.

I agree the #10 is a bit dark in use and my new mask is no different
in this respect.  If I had it to do again, I'd consider the variable
model...it adds $40US to the price though. <gulp>

I think you can go to a slightly lighter lens and still be safe.  My
understanding is that the #10 is intended to give maximum protection
to someone who welds all day long.

The reason I'm so pleased with the new "auto-darkening" mask has to do
with my initial strike.  Previously,  I would position the electrode
on the target spot and then try to flip the helmet down with a nod of
the head.   My eyes could never adjust to the dark filter fast enough
before my hand moved.

Right now I'm doing some butt welds in 20ga that requires repeated
strikes and back stitching.  For the first time it's actually working
for me.  <yippee!>

BTW...my understanding is that you can buy just the fancy lens portion
and fit it to most other brands of helmets.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits