Re: MIG WELDER

To: Patrick Bitton <pbitton@axess.com>
Subject: Re: MIG WELDER
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 10:26:18 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, Patrick Bitton wrote:

> I found a mig welder in Montreal for $150.00.
> 75a on 110VAC. Would that be good enough for welding sheet metal?

Make sure it's a genuine MIG welder.  Some of the smaller ones are
wire-fed flux core welders (FCAW)- you want a wire-feed, gas sheilding arc
welder (GMAW)... Gas Metal Arc Welder.

For that price I'd say you get the little buzz box, a gun, and some wire.
I presume it's a flux core welder.  These are the same as a stick welder,
just the weld rod is inside-out!  So you get the same amount of smoke and
spatter and burn through as with a stick-welder.  The sheilding gas is
required to make welds strong enough for body work.

My MIG shopping list:
  -must have infinite variable AMPS, WIRE SPEED
  -must have gas kit (regulator, adapter, solenoid valve)
     or be able to be adapted to gas
  -bonus if gas cylinder comes with, these cost about $200 + fill
  -hands-free mask, no way are you gonna be able to weld w/ 1 hand

Around here, a new MIG welder is about $1000 cdn inclusive; that's
everything you need, including the gas cylinder and contents.  I have seen
a used one for $350 cdn, I think it sold in less than an hour.

-Malcolm