Re: MIG WELDER

To: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@hey.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: MIG WELDER
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 18:39:39 -0400
Tom O'Malley wrote:

> Ah!  Here's one I can get passionate about.  I just starting using a
> Jackson auto-darkening mask.  Incredible. What a difference being able
> to SEE the workpiece.  Cost about $145 US but worth each penny.

  Is this the electronic one or the photochemical one?

  I think the photochemical ones darken in 1/2000s and the
electronic ones do it in 1/25000s. I am not sure if the difference
is significant from an eye safety point of view.

  Compared to some other forms of welding, MIG welding really
isn't that bright, especially with gas. I am using the face shield
that came with my lincoln and frankly it's very dark, even with
the arc on it's still barely viewable. I am thinking of switching
to a lighter lens.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/