Re: Electric fans

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Electric fans
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@pa.ausom.net.au>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 12:05:30 +1000
At 2:30 AM +1000 26/3/98, Barry Schwartz wrote:

>I tried removing the engine fan and it ran noticeably hotter,
>and got hot quicker.

and later

>Oooooop's, I should add that the earlier post pertained to idle, standing
>still conditions, not while driving.  While driving I never had a problem -
>sorry for the mis information -

Quicker warm up is a feature of electric fans.  A mechanical fan drives air
through the radiator even when the engine is cold and the leakage of
coolant past the thermostat cools the engine.  The warm up is fastest when
stationary as there is no natural airflow through the radiator.

The hotter running when stationary is a result of a higher temperature
setting on the electric fan.  Adjust or replace the temperature sensor.
With only an electric fan, the engine temperature is controlled by the
thermostat when moving and by the fan temperature sensor when stationary.

When you reinstalled the mechanical fan the temperature dropped, but I
suspect that the electric fan rarely if ever operated.  If the electric fan
never operates, it is just an expensive obstruction to the flow of air and
better cooling.

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U