Re: Electric fans

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Electric fans
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 08:30:35 -0800
>You will get even better cooling if you were to remove the belt driven
>fan all together.  When the electric fan is on with the mechanical you
>will get a turbulance that slows the air through the radiator.
***********************************
Hummmm,
I disagree.  I have both electric 'pusher' fans and the engine driven fan
on the Spitfire (custom radiator and shrouds).  It has two 10" electric,
front mounted, pusher type fans, that are thermostatically controlled that
cover the width of the radiator, and a 10" flex type engine driven fan in
the center.  I tried removing the engine fan and it ran noticeably hotter,
and got hot quicker.  I believe, in this situation (especially with push
through configurations) that the engine driven fan arguments the push
through by helping to pull air through the radiator which is more efficient
than trying to push it through.   Space restrictions prevented me this type
of installation.  I put the engine fan back on and has been there ever
since.  Just to add a little side note about efficiency of this type of
pusher puller type of design look at the Cessna push-pull configuration,
and the German designed in wwII (can't recall the names) had this same type
of prop, one in front and another in the rear.  Darn, there goes that
airplane thread again :-)!!

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle, getting a V6 soon!)