Re: automatic transmissions

To: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@pa.ausom.net.au>
Subject: Re: automatic transmissions
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:14:08 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>, James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>, Triumphs Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Trevor Jordan wrote:

> I think James means a centripital/cetrafugal clutch as used in chainsaws,
> ride-on lawn mowers and motor scooters.  It is similar to a drum brake with
> friction shoes inside a drum.  The driven shaft has the shoes, which spin
> out as the rotational speed increases and grip the drum.

Our 87 Chevette (automatic) has a system like this.  At speeds over 60k
and the revs down low the torque converter locks up, so essentially it is
a 4-speed transmission- 3 speed auto with 'magic' overdrive.

It does not work at low speeds.  But it gets great highway mileage...

My own Shuv-It, also auto, doesn't have this tranny.  But it can launch
itself at stoplights much better, I have surprised many V8s!

-Malcolm