Re: automatic transmissions

To: A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au, owner-triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: automatic transmissions
From: Peter.Hore@dhs.vic.gov.au
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 98 16:35:42 +1100
Cc: james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

>So, how does the Citroen DS work, then? It has no clutch pedal, but is not
>an automatic.

DS Citroen has an electrically activated clutch, you engage it by touching
the gearchange stalk, actual gear changing is done hydraulically via the
Cit pumping system's brain. Sure its complicated but changes are
instantaneous, best of both worlds.

I have been thinking of putting an auto trans in my TR6 (PI). I could
easily install the Borg Warner 36 or 65, but has anyone put a good small 4
speed auto (Jap perhaps!) into a 5 or 6?

It looks like it would also be easy to upgrade the steering by installing a
Stag/2500S unit, anyone done that yet?

In Europe the real reason most people don't buy automatic transmission cars
is because they cost 1 or 2 cents a gallon more to run than manuals. Nearly
all expensive cars are autos however.

Peter H

73 TR6