Re: TR6 upgrades

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 upgrades
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 13:17:01 -0500
Cc: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Since no one seems to be getting any work done today, including me, I will
toss my hat into the ring...

>> employ the technique they use in a land rover, they have two
>> brakes on each wheel, and one on the prop shaft, this is the
>> hand brake.  I'm sure you could manufacture something like this.
>**********************************
>While this may seem like a good approach, and as a "parking brake" may work
>in most situations, with the standard, open (or non locking) differential
>this would not work in a true emergency, especially on slippery surfaces,
>the way you would think.

snip

Any of us who drive cars with automatic transmissions know this one,
locking the driveshaft is essentially the same as leaving a car in Park.
Last winter my wife parked an S-10 Blazer on the snow packed approach to
our garage. There is a bit of a grade, but not _real_ steep. She didn't
bother with the garage, as we were going to use the vehicle in a few
minutes. She did not set the emergency brake. When we went outside, the
thing had decided to slide all the way down the grade, about 50 feet.
Luckily, she had left the steering wheel pointing in the right position, it
missed the trees and didn't fall off the edge of the driveway.

The emergency brakes is alot more important that it seems. Getting the wife
to use the emergency brake is another story altogether.

Never liked that vehicle anyway...
 Henry Frye            E-mail - thefryes@iconn.net
 TR3B   TCF1927 L   http://www.iconn.net/thefryes/
 TR250  CD8096 L                  A Little Town In
 TR250  CD1074 L                  Connecticut, USA