Re: TR6 upgrades

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: TR6 upgrades
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 11:40:21 -0500 (EST)
Cc: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>, "janssen, lee k" <lee.k.janssen@lmco.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Andrew Mace wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, James wrote:
>
> > You said something about converting the back brakes to disks,
> > but this would not be good for a street car.
>       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Out of curiosity, why not? It's worked for Volvo since the latter part of
> the 1960s, and most everything about the entry-level is so equipped
> nowadays.

Yep. But Volvo has used a separate drum brake for the rear (at least on
the Volvo 145 that I used to work on). That rotor/drum thing was a
substantial cost component when you had to do a major brake rebuild on
your Volvo...

> Seems to me a TR6 would be an ideal candidate as Bob suggested: bigger
> calipers/discs on front, adapt old fronts to rear, fiddle a bit with
> front/rear balance, and you're set. Worst problem I see would be losing
> the "emergency" brake, but perhaps that could be solved the way Volvo does
> (did) it, with a little "drum brake" arrangement inside the rear disc hub.

FWIW, on the race cars that I have seen, they pull all the emergency
brake stuff out - less weight and less unsprung weight. I know that EP
rules are very specific about the suggested alternative arrangements for
the brakes. Again, I think the fronts are Jaguar - vented disks and
bigger calipers - they must stop really well indeed.

> --Andy
>
> No discs even on the front of my Heralds! :-(

I don't need no steeeekin' brakes!

What's the quote? Rick Kline, BMW racer says: brakes are only good for
slowing you down... I would add to that: sometimes that's a good thing

;-)
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |