Re: Help, Broken Bleeder Screw

To: Brad.Kahler@141.com
Subject: Re: Help, Broken Bleeder Screw
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 12:06:35 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, moag <moag@ix.netcom.com>
I would not trust the calliper if you have to fit a helicoil, I would
prefer to
see a  bigger thread bleed nipple fitted after drilling and tapping,
better yet
the whole unit replaced.  The pressures reached are huge, and you don't
want
to risk your or anyone else's life, on perhaps the most important part
of the car.

Having said that, if you have half a bleed screw in your calliper, apply
one of these
easing compounds, then drill out until there is a mm between the thread
and the whole.
Then get a set of bolt extractors, is that what you refer to as ease
out, and fit the
biggest you can get in the whole.  These are a tapered hardened thing
that has the same
fitting as a thread tap, it has an anti clock wise thread, as you turn
it anti clockwise
it goes into the whole untill it can go no farther, it then starts to
turn the thing you
are undoing.  Use too much force and you could get this stuck, these are
even harder to
shift because they are harder than your drill.  If you can get at a
broken one of these
from the other side then you can usually pop it out with a drill, which
meshes in and
turns it the correct way to pop it out.

I had to do this to remove some sheared bolts from my replacement hub,
snapped the
extractor because it was too small.
--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot