Re: Electronic Tach

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, Peter Lucas <pllj@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Electronic Tach
From: Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 21:39:38 -0800
Peter Lucas wrote:

> Has anyone ever replaced their mechanical tach with an electronic one.
> It needs to fit in the dash of a 64 Spitfire. The reason I'm looking
> into this, is due to the fact that I replaced my distributor (that had a
> tach drive) with one that does not.
> Thanks in advance,
> PL

Peter,
  I stuck with the original distributor in my '63 so I could keep the
mechanical tach drive.  I re-built it (read: disassembled, cleaned,
re-bushed, painted & re-assembled) and modified a Pertronix unit from a
1500, I beleive to fit - works great.  Anyway, so ti is possible.  I
think Joe's got the right idea if you do want to convert, so it's up to
what you want to do...

Peter Ficklin
'63 & '68 SPits

BTW - the hardest thing about the re-build was getting the pin out of
the drive flange on the lower shaft.  I ended up drilling it out
carefully, and then replacing it with a roll pin from Home Depot.  Good
luck