Re: SU Dashpot oil

To: James Charles Ruwaldt <jruwaldt@indiana.edu>
Subject: Re: SU Dashpot oil
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 09:41:03 -0800
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
James Charles Ruwaldt wrote:

> What I've never understood, though, is why the effects of the damper are
> undesirable in racing.  It would seem as though racers would definitely
> want a richer mixture, so they could accelerate better.  What exactly is
> the problem with carburetor damping in a race engine?
> Jim Ruwaldt
> '72 TR6 CC79338U
> Bloomington, IN

Since In racing The foot is on the floor all the time (well most of the
time), the response is deemed more important than the effects achieved
by the damping oil.  Any actual performance boost achieved by damping is
actually minimal and very short in duration.  The real reason for
damping (as is evident in the definition of the term) is to make the
engine run smoother by eliminating oscillation of the piston.

Without the oil, it would have a tendency to jump to the top on
acceleration un-impeded and be forced down by the spring as soon as the
vacuum drops. The oil slows the ascent of the piston and makes it less
sensitive to erratic changes in vacuum.  Make Sense?  It sure sounds
good to me.

Now I'm going to go to work and pay for those doors!

Joe Curry   '63 Spit