Re: SU dashpot oil

To: "Charles Y. Farwell" <cyf@bighorn.dr.lucent.com>
Subject: Re: SU dashpot oil
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 09:21:23 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Charles Y. Farwell wrote:

>         Hang on, there. I've been following this thread thinking something
>         is not quite right regarding how much oil to put in. I have never
>         before heard of anyone filling an SU damper up to the top (or 1/4 inch
>         below), as several people have suggested.
>
>         So last nite I finally got back to check my original tr4 manual,
>         which definately states (for SU carbs) something like "fill the
>         dashpot such that the plunger feels resistance when the threads of
>         the plunger nut are 1/4" above the top of the damper". This is
>         *much* different than filling almost to the top.
>
>         Usually this list is very quick to correct mis-information such as
>         this. Am I completely off base on this one?
> Charlie Farwell             1962 TR4 #CT3852L
> cfarwell@lucent.com
>
> On Oct 26,  6:42pm, Joe Curry wrote:
> > lewis mckillop wrote:
> > >
> > Lew,
> > You can spend lots of money on the oil that Vickie Brit etal sell for
> > the purpose.  I have found that Marvel Mystery oil works fine for the
> > dash pots.  Haynes says to fill the damper guide to within a quarter
> > inch of its rim.  When you insert the damper, push it down slowly as the
> > oil offers resistance.
> >
> > Joe Curry   '63 Spit  (___________) fill in the blanks

Charles,
Read the message again.  It doesn't say 1/4 inch from the top of the
dash pot.  It says within 1/4 inch of the rim of the "damper guide".
That's the top of the piston assembly.  That makes a big difference.
Although, I must admit it can be quite confusing.

Joe Curry   '63 Spit (wanting for repaired doors)