Re: Spitfire Misfire?

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Misfire?
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 08:00:46 -0700
Cc: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Andrew Mace wrote:

> Sorry I don't have part numbers on hand. ISTR that the "correct"
> lens starts with 5457xxxx and the 1962-69 lens with 5458xxxx.
>
> The later lens looks a lot like the earlier, more common one, except that
> as viewed full-on, the later one has a deeper "rounded" area above and a
> shallower "flat"  area below. Most obvious, though, is that the later lens
> has no metal or foil backing inside the lower part of the lens; there is
> no "reflector"  capability in the later lens, as the 1970 models had
> separate round reflectors mounted inboard the amber turn signal lamps.
>
> We should get pictures up on the VTR Web site of all this someday, huh?
>
> --Andy

Okay,
As I type withone hand, I am reading the numbers off the "new Style"
lens.  It reads, L847 ENGLAND across the top line and beneath that it
says SAE ST 69 and of course LUCAS across the bottom. And your
description seems correct.  THe top rounded part is about 3/4 inch
longer than the old type.  Also, as reported, there is no reflector
surface in the bottom part with no metal insert in the inside to add
reflective properties as the older ones have.

Now, Since It seems that I have one of these "solid Gold" rare birds,
I'm offering it to the highest bidder.  Any takers???????

Joe Curry   '63 Spit (currently doorless)