Re: Spitfire Misfire?

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Misfire?
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 07:39:01 -0700
Cc: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Andrew Mace wrote:

> I wrote:
>
> > ...do any of you have the "correct" original U.S.-spec. stop/tail
> > lamp lens, which is NOT the same as the 1962-69 Spitfire?
>
> On 23 Oct 1997 Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV wrote:
>
> > Not me, sorry.  I ran into a guy this summer at the Richmond Triumph show
>who
> > had just bought a 70 Spit, and he encountered the same problem finding this
> > lens.  TRF, can you save the day again?
>
> I believe they simply are unavailable new from any source. Of course, the
> 1962-69 lens will fit the lamp, but it just ain't right!
>
> Interestingly, Victoria British was the last vendor in the U.S. -- maybe
> the only one ever -- to recognize and note in their catalog the difference
> while the original 1970-only lens was still available from Lucas. I got
> possibly the last one they had; that was well over a dozen years ago. I've
> also found a couple of presentable used ones over the years in
> "autojumbles"; one, with the lamp base, was only $5.00, but that was in
> 1986.
>
> Why do I care? Well, KC75121L, the 1970 GT6+ built oh-so-early in that
> model year, uses the same lamps as the 1970 U.S. Spitfire. Currently, I
> have two correct originals and one usable-in-a-pinch (cracked but intact)
> spare original.
>
> --Andy
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> * Andrew Mace, President and                *
> *   10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant *
> * Vintage Triumph Register                  *
> * amace@unix2.nysed.gov                     *

All you guys who are discussing the 1970 "different" Tail Light Lens.
What is the difference?  I ask because in the box of goodies I got with
my Spit, There was an "odd ball" lens that does not look like the
others.  It's close and it fits the housing, but "no cigar".  I wonder
if it is what you are talking about.

Let me know, Maybe I can help somebody out.

Joe Curry   '63 Spit (currently doorless)