RE: Spitfire Misfire?

To: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Subject: RE: Spitfire Misfire?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:24:18 +0600 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On 23 Oct 1997 Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV wrote:

> Not me, sorry.  I ran into a guy this summer at the Richmond Triumph show who
> had just bought a 70 Spit, and he encountered the same problem finding this
> lens.  TRF, can you save the day again?

I believe they simply are unavailable new from any source. Of course, the
1962-69 lens will fit the lamp, but it just ain't right!

Interestingly, Victoria British was the last vendor in the U.S. -- maybe
the only one ever -- to recognize and note in their catalog the difference
while the original 1970-only lens was still available from Lucas. I got
possibly the last one they had; that was well over a dozen years ago. I've
also found a couple of presentable used ones over the years in
"autojumbles"; one, with the lamp base, was only $5.00, but that was in
1986.

Why do I care? Well, KC75121L, the 1970 GT6+ built oh-so-early in that
model year, uses the same lamps as the 1970 U.S. Spitfire. Currently, I
have two correct originals and one usable-in-a-pinch (cracked but intact)
spare original.

--Andy