Re: Spitfire Misfire?

To: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Misfire?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:47:34 +0600 (EDT)
Cc: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Joe Curry wrote:

> All you guys who are discussing the 1970 "different" Tail Light Lens.
> What is the difference?  I ask because in the box of goodies I got with
> my Spit, There was an "odd ball" lens that does not look like the
> others.  It's close and it fits the housing, but "no cigar".  I wonder
> if it is what you are talking about.
>
> Let me know, Maybe I can help somebody out.

Sorry I don't have part numbers on hand. ISTR that the "correct"
lens starts with 5457xxxx and the 1962-69 lens with 5458xxxx.

The later lens looks a lot like the earlier, more common one, except that
as viewed full-on, the later one has a deeper "rounded" area above and a
shallower "flat"  area below. Most obvious, though, is that the later lens
has no metal or foil backing inside the lower part of the lens; there is
no "reflector"  capability in the later lens, as the 1970 models had
separate round reflectors mounted inboard the amber turn signal lamps.

We should get pictures up on the VTR Web site of all this someday, huh?

--Andy