Re: Superchargers

To: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Subject: Re: Superchargers
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 08:31:18 -0700
Cc: Don Sforza <dsforza@megahits.com>, karim.marouf@cancom.com, Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Paul Burr wrote:

> Don Sforza wrote:(snip)
> >
> >  A gentleam in Connecticut, Nick Formica, has just completed the design and
> > installation of a "bolt-on" supercharger...
> >
> > Nick is a 6-Pack member and has just done a series of articles for the
> > 6-pack newsletter. I'd get in touch with them. My understanding is that at
> > some point a "kit" may appear.
>
> Yeah! Lets hope this come to pass! Now when my wife asks "What do you
> want for your Birthday and Christmas this year?", I just gonna get this
> Cheshire cat grin.........

It seems to me that Superchargers would not be as good choice as a
turbocharger on small engines, since they are spun by the power of
the engine thus giving up a little HP in order to boost HP.

Whereas, turbochargers are independent of the mechanics of the engine
and spun entirely by the exhaust.  Main difference is the lag on the low
end while the turbo is spinning up.

Finally, with all the turbo cars around these days, It is probably
much easier (and cheaper) to find a good (of rebuildable) turbo. than
a Supercharger.

More food for thought.  (If somebody digests all this FFT, he runs the
risk of becoming a Fat Head)

Joe Curry   '63 Spit