Re: parking brake adjustment

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: parking brake adjustment
From: Stuart Steele <ssteele@switchsolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 16:00:59 -0500
This is based on my experiences with  TR6s:

>Do these 3/16" cables stretch?  (I think that's unlikely)

Yes, the brake cables can stretch, sometimes substantially.  Also, if
there is any weak spot in the system, then that weak spot will be
exploited, rather than the brakes moving or being adjusted.  On my TR6,
I tried any number of ways to take up slack in the cables, until one day
I removed the parking brake lever boot, and found that the back of the
bracket which locates the cable ends in relation to the lever, had bent
about an inch towards the lever, effectively lengthening the cable by an
inch, and rendering the parking brake largely useless.  However, none of
this was visible without the boot removed.

Stuart Steele
1969 TR6