TR6 differential

To: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 differential
From: James Charles Ruwaldt <jruwaldt@indiana.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 16:13:43 -0500 (EST)
It seems like this question was raised somewhat recently, but I don't
recall what was said, if anything.  The differential in my TR6 has always
clunked when I let off the accelerator.  The only ways to prevent this are
to release the accelerator very slowly or disengage the clutch at the same
time.  It seems that the problem must be in the differential, not in the
mounts, because when the mounts broke, the differential itself bounced,
and the effect was a rattling in the drivetrain.  What is most likely
causing this clunking, and what would be the solution to the problem?  I
don't care if the answer is a rebuild, because the problem isn't terribly
severe, so I can hold off on it, if the repairs will be expensive.
Thanks in advance,
Jim Ruwaldt
'72 TR6 CC79338U
Bloomington, IN