RE: Parking brake adjustment

To: triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Parking brake adjustment
From: Zempel David <Zempel_David@spmm.lmms.lmco.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 09:22:24 -0700
> Zempel David wrote:
>
> > In finishing up the installation of my new brakes I attempted to adjust
the
> > parking brake.  It's never been adjusted correctly and only appears to be
an
> > ornament attached to my TR4.  It's impossible to adjust the cables that
run to
> > the drums in that they are screwed as far as they can go into the "T"
thingy
> > that connects them to the main parking brake cable.  I imagine that once I
add
> > brake fluid and bleed the brakes that this might take some of the slack
out of
> > the cables.  However, since the available adjustment (number of turns
before
> > bottoming out) was almost non-existant, I'm not convinced bleeding the
brakes
> > will solve my problem.
> > Do these 3/16" cables stretch?  (I think that's unlikely)
> > Does anybody have a similiar experiance and solved it?

What about shortening the adjustment screws?  There is plenty of thread left.
The main problem seems to be that the screws are bottoming out on the "T"
plate.  This "T" plate works as a lever while splitting the "force" as
activated by pulling up on the parking brake lever.
Shortening the adjustment screws may be the correct thing to do.  However, I'm
never comfortable performing a "one-way" operation without knowing that it is
the correct procedure.

Dave Zempel
'63 TR4
Sunnyvale, CA.