Re: Running rough

To: CAMHI ALAN <camhi@symbol.com>
Subject: Re: Running rough
From: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 17:58:13 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
CAMHI ALAN wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Lately, I've been experincing an intermittent problem with my TR-4.
> It
> runs fine for about 5 minutes after start up and then at the first
> oportunity when it can idle(usually a stop light) it backfires and
> then
> runs rough(like its missing).  It also at this point continues to back
> fire upon acceleration.
>
> When it happened last night, I pulled into the garage and noticed that
> there was oil on the top of the coil, as well as on the rubber cover
> of
> the #3 plug wire.  It did not get into the plug.
>
> I recently replaced a valve cover gasket and it appears that oil is
> being
> shot out of an area just above the # 3 cylinder and is also coating
> the
> coil(Lucas).  It is not getting inside the rubber boot of the coil
> wire
> but is coating the pos and neg posts and wires.  Would this cause the
> problem I am describing.
>
> Also, I have a spare gasket that I can use but I thought I did a good
> job
> replacing the first one(obviously i was wrong).  Does anyone have any
> experience with gasket/sealers in a tube that can be used for valve
> coversand if so, can they recommend one?  Also, does overtightening
> the
> two nuts that hold the valve cover down, affect the sealing
> perforamnce
> of the gasket.
>
> Is there a tightening specification  for valve cover screws?
>
> I know I ask alot of questions but I am clueless and am desperate to
> learn.  Thanks for everyone's help. on this subject
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan Camhi
Alan,
You may want to use some silicone gasket sealer on the valve cover side
of the gasket and make sure there is no old gasket left on the head.
Valve cover bolts get the tremendous torque of 8 to 10 ft/lbs.

And yes the oil coating of your coil is causing it to arc across the
terminals. Thus causing your back fire.  As always this is JMO.

Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4