Re: Running rough

To: "Charles Y. Farwell" <cyf@bighorn.dr.lucent.com>
Subject: Re: Running rough
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 14:55:09 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: CAMHI ALAN <camhi@symbol.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Charles Y. Farwell wrote:

>       If your TR-4 is anything like mine, there is so little pressure
>       under the valve cover I suspect the only lube the rocker shaft gets
>       is when I change oil! I doubt a leaky valve cover would be anywhere
>       near capable of causing oil to "shoot" out. The head gasket might be
>       another matter....

        I concur... He may want to check his compression if he's
        experiencing significant blow-by in the cylinders this would
        pressurize the crankcase to the point that oil would be forced out
        of any weak point along the gasket. he may want to check his breather
        too I have encountered oil being forced out of the lower breather
        pipe when the upper breather was blocked. He may have a warped valve
        cover (not at all uncommon). Among his fix choices are either a
        neoprene valve cover gasket (available from British Frame & Engine)
        or an aluminum valve cover (with the neoprene gasket)... it
        worked for me for a while... Eventually I did an engine rebuild.

> On Jun 20,  8:52am, CAMHI ALAN wrote:

> > runs rough(like its missing).  It also at this point continues to back
> > fire upon acceleration.

        THIS may be a totally unrelated symptom... check out your
        distributor... CAREFULLY (especially the little fuzzy wire on the
        advance plate

> > I recently replaced a valve cover gasket and it appears that oil is being
> > shot out of an area just above the # 3 cylinder and is also coating the
> >
> > Is there a tightening specification  for valve cover screws?

        Oddly enough yes... a whopping 2 ft lbs ( thinks thats just past
        finger tight)

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois