Re: transmission noises

To: Eric Kieboom <ekieboom@xs4all.nl>
Subject: Re: transmission noises
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 21:19:37 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 8 Jun 1997, Eric Kieboom wrote:

> >[Spitfire] transmission...sounds like an old tired wrktruck
> >does.... My dad thinks the synchronizers on the first gear (only gear it
> >makes this noise) are going bad.  Also, the thing is impossible to
> >downshift into first gear without grinding it.  Anything to worry
> >about?  The transmission fluid is circa 1972 so I am going to change
> >that today and see if it works any better.
>
> You almost certainly have an original, 'early' gearbox, with
> *unsynchronised* first gear. It behaves exactly like it should. What you do
> is you come to a complete standstill before you downshift into first....

Agreed, Eric, on the diagnosis of an early gearbox! But I must disagree
on your recommendation for dealing with it. One simply needs to practice
the fine art of double-clutching and "matching revs"!

Warning: it is better first to practice this technique with a
third-to-second downshift to get used to the coordination and sensitivity
needed. However, once mastered, the technique is great for impressing
friends. If one is then feeling really bold, one can attempt to learn the
equally fine (and admittedly almost always useless) art of shifting
without use of the clutch. I find this technique is best learned on an
old 120 or 140 series Volvo -- the ones with the incredibly long shift
levers (lever being THE operative word in this case).

Or, get an all-synchro box! :-)

--Andy