Re: Transmission noises

To: Barry Schwartz <Bschwartz@encad.com>
Subject: Re: Transmission noises
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 10:34:06 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Barry Schwartz wrote:

> grinding gears (one reason to learn double-clutching).  The ONLY thing that
> will make noise in only ONE gear is a worn out gear(s), or the bearing(s)
> it rides on.  Sorry, but from the noise you describe sounds like first gear
> is worn out -

Barry and Ed,

In addition to having a non-synchro first gear, the pre '71 gearboxes have
a straight-cut first gear.  The straight-cut gears whine - this is why
many cars whine in reverse gear BTW.

So Ed, the whining does not necessarily indicate a problem, and neither
does the crunching getting it into first gear.  Actually, let me rephrase
that 2nd half of that sentence:  The fact that it crunches when you
attempt to engage 1st when the car is moving does not indicate a problem -
the actual crunching is probably chipping the teeth on the gear though, so
make sure you come to a complete stop before trying to engage 1st.

> Barry Schwartz in San Diego,CA
> 70 Spitfire (body repair on hold see above)

Barry, if you have the original tranny in the '70, it will whine in first!

Hope this helps,

Mike Burdick
Omaha NE
'70 Spit, FDU86843L(O)