Re: Transmission noises

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Transmission noises
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 07:04:40 -0700
> Everything seems fine except for a whining noise
>coming from the transmission.  It sounds like an old tired wrktruck
>does.... My dad thinks the synchronizers on the first gear (only gear it
>makes this noise) are going bad.  Also, the thing is impossible to
>downshift into first gear without grinding it.  Anything to worry
>about?  The transmission fluid is circa 1972 so I am going to change
>that today and see if it works any better.
***************************************
Ed,
You didn't mention (or I missed) what year your Spitfire was.  If it was
pre '71 then It prbably has a non-synchro gearbox, which would explain the
gnashing in first.  Its been my experience that in most cases second gear
synchro goes first, followed by third, those gears being downshifted and
used/loaded most.  At any rate worn synchros don't make any noise (besides
clashing the dog teeth, the gears don't really clash as they are in
constant mesh ), it just becomes increasingly hard to shift without
grinding gears (one reason to learn double-clutching).  The ONLY thing that
will make noise in only ONE gear is a worn out gear(s), or the bearing(s)
it rides on.  Sorry, but from the noise you describe sounds like first gear
is worn out -

Barry Schwartz in San Diego,CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6 Spitfire ( 5 speed's mounted, working on tranny cover )
70 GT6+ (daily driver for now)
70 Spitfire (body repair on hold see above)