TR6 thrust washer fix, for good! (?)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 thrust washer fix, for good! (?)
From: dynamic@transport.com (Pete & Aprille Chadwell)
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 06:35:54 +0100
I was just about to send this post last February, when suddenly my internet
service "went away."  Hope this hasn't shown up on the list since then...
at the time there was discussion on the list about the thrust washers on
TR6 motors.  So, here it is:

I have an August 1992 issue of "Your Classic" magazine that details a
modification that supposedly will cure the TR6 thrust washer problem for
good.  Oh, I don't suppose it's cheap, nor do I think it would make sense
to do unless you were doing a complete rebuild anyway, but here's the basic
idea:

If I remember correctly, (it was 8 years ago when I rebuilt my TR6 motor)
there are just two half-moon, for lack of a better term, thrust washers.
Both ride OVER the crank's 4th main journal, one in front and one in the
rear.  The Main bearing cap is designed so that when bolted into place, it
retains the two bearings.  The article which I have in front of me shows a
clever way (it would appear) to prevent future thrust washer troubles:
Basically, as I said above, the main-bearing cap retains the two thrust
washers because it is wider than it's corresponding part in the block.
What this article suggests is to machine down the rear face of that main
bearing cap so that it aligns with the edge of the bearing journal in the
block, and then, adding a third thrust washer to that face.  This thrust
washer would be pinned into place with brass pins, the ends of which would
be recessed below the surface of the bearing.  This doubles the bearing
surface aft of the 4th main bearing cap, which is the surface which takes
the thrust loads associated with depressing the clutch.

I've left out many details here, so if anyone would like, I can scan the
article with OCR software, and either post it to the list or e-mail it to
you direct.  It LOOKS like a wonderful way to cure this TR6 problem.

Pete Chadwell

1973 TR6