Re: TR6 Update

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 Update
From: jhdavis6@juno.com (James H. Davis, Jr.)
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 22:03:01 EDT
On Mon, 2 Jun 1997 14:00:20 -0600 Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
writes:
>1. Most notably, my overdrive does not work. It sure used to when I
>parked it. Now I definitely need to get this working and am looking
>for
>troubleshooting ideas. As I mentioned above, I had the gaskets
>replaced
>on the O/D. I had to take this in to a shop however, as I didn't feel
>up
>to the task of taking the gearbox apart. I don't know if this is what
>could have caused the problem. I would like to eliminate the simple
>stuff like the electric part of the O/D setup before jumping into the
>ineer workings. How does one go about thesting the solenoid? Is it
>supposed to click or make any noise when operating? Can it be tested
>with the ignition in the ON position but the engine and car not
>running?
>What other things should I watch for?
Put the transmission in 3rd or 4th gear with the ignition switch 'on' but
don't start the car. Move the OD switch up and down and you should hear a
click from the solenoid as it is energized.  If you hear no click, start
checking wiring, beginning where the wires connect under the dash. You
may have just connected them wrong. Use your wiring diagram and a
continuity tester or volt meter to determine if there is a fault in the
switch or wiring. That is were my problems have been
>2. My fuel guage does nto register the full tank of gas which now sits
>in it. I mentioned I had the tank cleaned and boiled out and the
>sending
>unit seal refitted. Is there a way to verify the sending unit actually
>works? Does one measure some electrical value while lifting the arm of
>the unit in the tank?
The easiest thing is buy a new sending unit.
>3. My oil warning light is glowing even though the oil pressure gauge
>indicates normal pressure (75lb at startup, down to 45-55 when warm
>and
>running). I suspect the switch may be faulty. Any way to test this?
Is your sending unit wiring connected properly? And the guage wiring?
Don't know how to test it. If the wiring checks out, I'd just get another
sending unit.
Good luck and congratulations,
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA