Oil cooler and timming -

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Oil cooler and timming -
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 13:05:45 -0700
>Any thoughts/comments by others who have "been there done that"?
> I assume I would simply tap into the block using the existing oil sender
>probe on a "T" fitting so as to retain the dash warning light, but where
>would the return line plug into the motor?
Ross,
you simply use a 'sandwich' adptor between the oil filter and th block with
oil fittings tapped into the adaptor.  Run your hoses to the cooler.  This
is the way the factory oil cooler option was implemented by the way.
>But in heavy stop and go driving it really runs like
>crap due to excessive heat.  It seems to me the timing would not be the
>culprit because in stop and go you are mostly idling or crawling at low
>rpms, thus unless timing was WAY off, it would have no effect
Retarded timing, if the engine has marginal cooling capacity to begin with
( and what stock Triumph doesn't <G>), WILL cause overheating and
especially at idle/low revs as at higher revs the mechanical advance brings
the engine timing into the range that is better (more efficent) for the
engine and that the cooling system can handle.  Plus at speed you have much
more air passing thru the radiator.  Thats why just increasing the revs
alone doesn't always help the cooling while standing still - And it
sometimes will take only 5-7 degs on a really hot day to cause it to
overheat - one of the reasons that later cars with the timming set ATDC
have thermostatic vaccuum "restore" switches.  They allow the vaccuum
advance to work PROPERLY (or to be advanced where the engine likes it) when
the car starts to get too hot, bringing the temperature down at extended
idling periods.  *most* cars engines run best at around 12 - 18 deg's BTDC
at idle with a maximum advance of around 23 degrees, but a lot depends on
the cam, compression etc.  This may not the best in terms of emmisions at
idle, but when you think about it, how long does you car sit and idle
compared to actuall running time.  And how much volume difference at idle
vs at speed!  Kinda makes you wonder why bother with the idle settings for
so-called smog purposes does't it?

Barry Schwartz in San Diego,CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6 Spitfire ( 5 speed's mounted, working on tranny cover )
70 GT6+ (daily driver for now)
70 Spitfire (body repair on hold see above)