TR6 Update

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 Update
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 14:00:20 -0600
Well after almost 10 years (I parked it in the fall of 87) my 76 TR6 is
finally back on the road! I had to do a bunch of maintenance but all in
all the return from hibernation was quite painless.

Here is what I did:
- new clutch (rel bearing was seized before I parked it),
- clutch and brake hydraulics (you may recall my woes with bleeding the
brake MC before I clued in to the need for a bench bleed),
- flywheel machined (not sure why I did this but I did),
- pilot bushing,
- rear engine seal,
- oil pan gasket,
- front and rear gearbox seals,
- O/D gaskets (more on this one later...),
- flush cooling system and replace hoses (green ones from TRF!),
- water pump,
- radiator cleaned out (this one was unexpected),
- fuel tank boiled out (more on this one later as well...),
- miscellaneous electrical stuff but most of it works!

All this work consumed the better part of my spare time since last June
(I didn't do much on it over the winter). Judging by the posts of many
of you, I am sure there are some snickers over the apparent pace of my
work but hey, I'm no pro!

This weekend marks the first time I really drove the car since I parked
it. What a treat! The weather was awesome, 25 Celcius and sunny. Got the
car all washed up and just drove around (I'm sure most of you know this
drill :-)

Several items still remain to be done however :-( Hope someone knows the
answers to these questions:

1. Most notably, my overdrive does not work. It sure used to when I
parked it. Now I definitely need to get this working and am looking for
troubleshooting ideas. As I mentioned above, I had the gaskets replaced
on the O/D. I had to take this in to a shop however, as I didn't feel up
to the task of taking the gearbox apart. I don't know if this is what
could have caused the problem. I would like to eliminate the simple
stuff like the electric part of the O/D setup before jumping into the
ineer workings. How does one go about thesting the solenoid? Is it
supposed to click or make any noise when operating? Can it be tested
with the ignition in the ON position but the engine and car not running?
What other things should I watch for?

2. My fuel guage does nto register the full tank of gas which now sits
in it. I mentioned I had the tank cleaned and boiled out and the sending
unit seal refitted. Is there a way to verify the sending unit actually
works? Does one measure some electrical value while lifting the arm of
the unit in the tank?

3. My oil warning light is glowing even though the oil pressure gauge
indicates normal pressure (75lb at startup, down to 45-55 when warm and
running). I suspect the switch may be faulty. Any way to test this?

Other than that, all sytems seem to be functioning quite well. Very
commendable after a 10 year snooze.

Thanks for any insights into my malfunctions. Take care...

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada