Drain Hose in Bulkhead

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Drain Hose in Bulkhead
From: Alan Crane <acrane@crosslink.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 20:38:14 -0400

> Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 22:28:21 -0700
> From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
> Subject: Drain Hose in Bulkhead
>
> While finishing up the final touches of the work
> being done in shop, came accross a question with
> the mechanic I'd appreciate help with.
>
> There are drain hoses inside each of the
> bulkheads (left and right) in my '70 TR6. We
> replaced both bulkheads (originals rusted out), but
> there doesn't seem to be any place for the drain
> hoses to drain? Toni (Mt Joy Auto Works) is
> inclined to install a hole in the bulkhead, put a
> nipple on the inbside and attach the drain hose to
> this.
>
> Are we missing something here? No reference in the
> Bently or the parts catelogs as to how these hoses
> were to drain from inside the bulkhead.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott Suhring
> Elizabethtown, PA
> '70 TR6

Dumping the drain from the scuttle vent into the space behind the
bulkheads was a truly uninspiring engineering design.  When the car is
brand new, the water can run out thru the cracks, but as dirt and debris
are carried down, the cracks fill up.  Part of the Accelerated Rust
Promotion Program I suppose.

When my bulkheads first rusted out, I bought some neoprene hose large
enough to fit over the drain hose and drilled holes in the bulkhead just
large enough to hold them tightly. WOrked quite well tho the bulkheads
eventually rust anyway. Your mechanic's idea is more elegant and
probably better.  I remember seeing an article or tech tidbit somewhere
several years ago suggesting a similar solution.  Will try to look it up
if anyone needs it.

Alan Crane
67 TR4A