Re: TR-4 Questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, ArthurK101@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR-4 Questions
From: token@ridgecrest.ca.us (Darrell Leach)
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 21:17:32 -0800
Posted-date: Sun, 18 May 1997 21:13:00 -0700 (PDT)
ArthurK101@aol.com wrote:

>>  1.  Should the metal dashboard be body color or white (I have one of each
>>  currently).
>
>I have nerver seen an original early dash in body color.  They were white -
>Spa White until CT4397, then New White until sometime in '64 when the
>mahogany veneer dash became standard.

Thanks, this is as I thought, as my later car (CT13108L) has a mostly original
enterior, although the body has had at least three resprays!  My earlier car
(CT5368LO) has been the recipient of a fairly good looking resto, but the
dash is not white!

Buy the way, do you have a current paint number for the New White?  I normally
shoot PPG paints so if a PPG number is availible that would be a good thing.

Speaking of paint numbers, if anyone on the list has a number for the 1962
Light Blue used on TR-4s I could use that also.

>>  2.  Frame color (again), is the frame supposed to be black, or body color,
>>  or (like the Spit) body color over black?
>
>The frames were normally black.

And this is supported by both of my '62s.

>>  3.  Is it true that the very early 1962 TR-4s used chrome over brass trim
>at
>>  the top of the windscreen frame and around the cockpit?  If this is true,
>is
>>  there a source for these pieces of trim?  Both of my '62s have aluminum on
>>  the top of the windscreen and one is a Surrey Top, but the other also has
>>  aluminum around the back of the cockpit.
>
>You may be able to help me on this one.  I have heard of the brass/chrome
>trim.   There is speculation that some early cars had this chrome, but I have
>never seen one.  The only one I have ever seen was on a "restored" very late
>TR4 and the owner admitted that his was originally aluminum.  I would say
>that CT13108, your earliest one, probably had aluminum unless you can tell it
>was replaced.   (If it is - that would give us a reference point).  But I see

O.K. CT 13108L is my later car and it has the original windscreen cap,
according to the original owner.  But my early car (CT5368LO and the one I
will do the restoration on) has had three owners that I know of and none of
them did the restoration that is on it.

> The "male" top fasteners around the rear of the cockpit were chrome plated,
>however.  Also the top of the windscreen for the convertible had two black
>plastic plugs for the surrey top holes.

Well one of each, a convertible and a surrey top car, and fortunately all
are complete.  But I am trying to locate another set of cockpit chrome and
hood bows to convert the surrey top to a convertible.

>>  4.  Is there a good source of reference for this type of information?  If
>>  there is I would certainly like to add it to my stack.
>
>In spite of what some others have said in answers to you - I still recommend
>Piggott's book.  Piggott's book Original TRiumph TR is a good reference but,
>as others have said, is not infallible.  IBut IMO it is worth having!

Planning to get it.

>there are.  Also join the VTR, TRA and a local club.  You will find not only
>good info but also some fun people and many resources to help you as you
>restore the cars.

Already a member of the local club.  Will probably join the VTR shortly,
but I have no info on the TRA.

Thanks for the response, and the responses on the list have been numerous
and very helpfull.  Unfortunately I have not responded to all of them yet
but I'm gettin' to it.

Thanks for the info and I'm keepin' an ear peelled.

Later,

Darrell Leach,   KD6LRC   DM-15,   Ridgecrest, Ca
email: token@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us
   or: darrell_leach-mti@echo.chinalake.navy.mil
1962 TR-4 (CT5368LO)   28,000 miles  (Everyday)
1965 Spitfire Mk 2
1967 Spitfire Mk 3   in work
1984 GL1200A GoldWing   128,000 miles  (go figure)